Friday, July 26, 2013

DEMO GET!

Hey guys!
Crazy stuff - I've made a LOI demo!



Go here and download it:

Mediafire
Sendspace
..or my personal dropbox

I warn you though, the demo is rough. It contains some art unfinished or placeholders, all-placeholder sound, missing effects and objects and code.

WINDOWS 8 WARNING!: DUE TO A CONFIRMED BUG IN W8 GAME MAKER GAMES HAVE ALL SORTS OF SOUND ISSUES - INCLUDING CRASHING. TO FIX THIS - DISABLE SOUND EFFECTS FROM THE OPTIONS MENU.

General notes:

  • The game is written in GM8.1, so Windows8 people have to turn the sound effects all the way down in order not to anger the cruel gods of Microsoft. 
  • You MUST unzip the entire game including the external files and folders.
  • The demo can be controlled with either the cursor keys+ZXC, or the WASD+123, which can be switched in the options menu.
  • The game also supports controllers - the button layouts for 360 controller and a sidewinder can be swapped in the options as well.
  • There is an unfinished "8-bit" version of the game in the EXTRAS menu.
  • Powerup items can be collected by standing over them and pressing up.
  • Iya can climb ledges when you jump to them and hold up.
  • Iya has two attack types - quick and strong. Tap attack button for quick, hold - for strong.
  • While in the air Iya can either slam enemies down with down+attack, or kick them up higher with up+attack.
  • Explore the area. There is one hidden powerup object and one health upgrade.
  • Save rooms are activated by standing in the middle and pressing up.
  • The sound and music are a placeholder. I have an awesome musician lined up for the project, but first I need some sweet, sweet Kickstarter money to pay him.
  • Badgers WILL mess you up... as will the bear... as will the bosses.
Hopefully - have fun: )

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's really cool to finally be able to play Iya after all of this time. Demo definitely has some quirks though. I'm supporting you on Kickstarter, but I can tell that there's still a long way to go towards getting this done. Hopefully you've planned your time out very well.

    Let us know if there is a good place to submit feedback. I 'm sure you don't want us to bog down your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say... I don't like the controls. From the trailers I've seen I already knew I didn't like the speed. I love the fluid animation, but everything is turtle speed in the game. Turning takes ages!

    I hate how Iya will stop after entering new screen and I have to release button and press it again to start moving again. It creates artificial barrier between screens making them less like metroivania world and more like separate stages.

    After jumping up you can't control Iya, even though you can turn back mid-jump if you jumped forward... This is very problematic if you are in situation where you want to jump forward/backward and are late with pressing directional arrow by a fraction of second.

    This could use some invincibility on hit. I once got between 2 rabbit things and they just started chewing me in turns, almost killing me, not giving me any way to get out of their attack string. This is not fun.

    I also wouldn't mind being able to move while attacking... especially as due to slowness of the game Iya is stationary for much too long.

    Right now it seems like this game is more frustrating then fun, and all the challenge will come out of fighting the controls.

    I will have more coming but no time to type now, so bear with me. And don't misunderstand me - I'm harsh, because I like what I see, but I also feel it's not up to it's potential. Still, the game is still far from release(but with kickstarter I hope it's closer than further :P) so there's still room to make the controls and challenge excellent.

    ReplyDelete